Thoughts and analysis on the Philadelphia Eagles



Guess who DIDN'T get Lelie????


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The Eagles!

Sigh...

The Redskins, Falcons, and Broncos completed a 3 way deal that sent disgruntled WR Ashley Lelie to Atlanta, RB TJ Duckett to Washington, and the Skins' 3rd round pick & possibly 4th to Denver.

Some Eagles fans wanted Duckett here... I had no interest in him for the Eagles, backup RBs can be found anywhere and they aren't worth anything close to a 3rd & 4th round pick...

But how could we not have wanted Lelie? People can say all they like about him and it's likely mostly true. He's not lived up to his potential of a 1st round pick, he's probably not much better than a healthy Pinky.... But that's how bad our WR corps has gotten! I'd kill for a Pinky level veteran WR right now! Anything is better than Reggie Brown and a bunch of rookies and undrafted free agents. I think Reggie is legit, but he could use some veteran help. He's a 2nd a year guy and is probably the senior member of the WR corps.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Baskett has done this offseason. I like some of the things I've seen from Avant so far. However, that's a far stretch from me thinking they are starting caliber NFL WRs this year. To put that much pressure on an undrafted rookie free agent and a rookie 2nd day pick seems crazy to me!

Luckily, Lelie went to Atlanta where he can't hurt us(Mike Vick as his QB?) . But still, it would have been nice to have him here.

I have some thoughts on the deal from the perspectives of the teams involved...

OKAY deal for Atl - They needed a WR, but it won't really matter with Vick. Plus Lelie is going to be the 3rd WR(as per Mora), which is what he was already mad about in Denver, so you have to wonder how happy he'll be in ATL. He's gone after this year, but so was Duckett so that's not as much of a concern...

GREAT deal for Denver - Everyone knew Lelie had to be traded, but they get a 3rd round pick and maybe an additional 4th for him? They robbed the Redskins here.

AWFUL deal for Skins - They give up a 3rd round pick for a backup/short yardage back that will likely leave after this year... This is doubly bad considering that they already have so few picks left for the future. It's going to be interesting to watch just how bad the Skins get over the next few years with zero picks and no young talent. But hey, they've got a backup RB!

Basically, it's a disappointment that the Eagles let Lelie slip through their fingers. I do not understand a plan that involves starting rookies and undrafted free agents at WR in a the most pass heavy offense in football. I just don't get that. The scary part is that I really think that Andy Reid and co believe that they have enough. A lot of Eagles fans have been crowing since the offseason about how they think the Eagles are cheap. I don't buy that. They've shelled out tons of money for free agents and to resign their own guys. They aren't cheap, they really believe in what they have. I firmly believe that Andy Reid is more than content to go into the season with Hank Baskett and Jason Avant as his #2&3 WRs. That scares me more than a team being cheap.

I hope Andy proves me wrong. I hope he's been right all along... Because right now, I just don't see it.


2 Responses to “Guess who DIDN'T get Lelie????”

  1. Anonymous Jeff (Charlotte, NC) 

    We just picked up Donte' Stallworth. It's going to take him some time to get familiar with the offense, but hopefully he'll pick it up quickly and be ready for the brutal second half of our season. Thank God we actually made a move!

  2. Anonymous Jeff (Charlotte, NC) 

    We just picked up Donte' Stallworth. It's going to take him some time to get familiar with the offense, but hopefully he'll pick it up quickly and be ready for the brutal second half of our season. Thank God we actually made a move!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3


Quick RSS Subscription Links for Bleeding Green Blogarama - The Blogs Directory Directory of Sports Blogs Subscribe with Bloglines Blog Directory & Search engine Listed on the ArmchairGM Sports Blog Index